Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning

The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) is a hands-on option for students in Years 11 and 12. The VCAL gives students practical work-related experience, as well as literacy and numeracy skills and the opportunity to build personal skills that are important for life and work. Like the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), VCAL is an accredited secondary certificate. 

Students who do the VCAL are likely to be interested in going on to training at a Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institute, starting an apprenticeship, or getting a job after completing school.

The VCAL’s flexibility enables you to undertake a study program that suits your interests and learning needs. Fully accredited modules and units are selected for the following four compulsory strands: 

■ Literacy and Numeracy Skills 

■ Work Related Skills 

■ Industry Specific Skills 

■ Personal Development Skills. 

If you successfully complete your VCAL, you will receive a certificate and a Statement of Results that details the areas of study you have completed. 

The VCAL has three levels. In 2017 Manor Lakes P-12 College we will be offering all three award levels:

  • Foundation - For students who require higher levels of teacher support

  • Intermediate - For students who require some level of teacher support

  • Senior - For self motivated students who require little or no teacher support.


Your teacher or careers counsellor will help you decide which level is most appropriate for your needs.

VCAL Course Requirements

Students must successfully complete:

At least 10 credits, or units;

At least one unit from each of the four compulsory VCAL strands, including:

a minimum of two VCAL units;

one unit of VCAL PDS and literacy at the certificate level

one unit of numeracy

at least six units  at the level of the VCAL certificate,

at least one unit of VET for the VCAL Intermediate and Senior level certificates.


Vocational Educational and Training (VET) allows students to include vocational studies within their senior secondary certificate.

Students undertake nationally recognised training from training organisations that contribute to their VCE or VCAL.

VET is compulsory within the VCAL at Intermediate and Senior levels.

Structured Workplace learning may be a compulsory part of the VETis program and may need to be during school holidays.

VETis courses within our regional cluster are mostly on a Wednesday or Friday Afternoon and finish at around 5pm.  Courses outside the cluster are mostly Wednesday afternoons, but may require more travel so times may differ.

Manor Lakes College provides a wide range of courses, either on our own site, or at another training venue. In 2017, these are:

Allied Health

Animal Studies


Building & Construction (Bricklaying)

Building & Construction (Carpentry)


Catering Operations

Community Services


Early Childhood


Engineering (fabrication)

Engineering (mechanical)

Equine Studies



Interior Design

Makeup & Skin Care


Music Performance

Music Technology


Screen & Media

Sport & Rec

Visual Arts



No withdrawal from VETis

Students who undertake a VETis course are committed to the full year. Students are unable to change their mind after Feb 28th and pull out of their VETis course once they have commenced.

Attendance and Venues

VETis courses are delivered at various venues.  For most regional cluster courses, transport to the venue from Manor Lakes College is arranged. Students are required to make their own arrangements home after their VETis course finishes.

For courses outside of the cluster, students will need to arrange their own transport to and from their VET course. 

Missed classes

It is the responsibility of the student to catch up on any schoolwork they miss whilst participating in VETis.  Students must follow up with their subject teachers regarding missed classes and produce medical certificates.

Ask these three questions……

  • Do you want to have experience in a trade?

  • Do you want to attend work placement?

  • Are you independent enough to get to and from TAFE and Work Placement?